Thursday 2 August 2012

Cyclists

Now it's a fact i spend most of my time on 2 wheels, the exhilaration and acceleration is incredibly life giving, and gets my blood pumping. Today i found out another friend had an accident on his motorcycle, a few bruises and broken bones, but he is still alive. So now i'm going to go on a rant about and against people who ride pushbikes with no regard for the rules of the road. If you abide by them this is not aimed at you in anyway, but i have to get this off my chest.

Push bike riders, you DO NOT own the road. you DO NOT pay tax for use of the road, you DO NOT invariably have insurance and finally WHEN THERE IS A CYCLE PATH TO USE, USE IT, my tax dollar has helped pay for it to be built. But the thing that really grinds my gears about push bike riders is when they come to a set of traffic lights, and decide that the highway code does not apply to them. They either jump onto the path and possibly hit a pedestrian, or worse still they keep edging out expecting the traffic coming towards them to stop and give way. Today while on my ride home from my mothers, 5 cyclists (assuming they were on the tour de France) blocked the road entirely, on a bend which was blind. Fortunately i was only bimbling along at 30 mph so i had time to rectify my line in the road and avoid them.

So whats the answer i have a few ideas. ALL cyclist should have a form of insurance in case of accidents. All cyclists should pay something towards use of the road (especially if a perfectly suitable) cycle path is available. If a cyclist is seen not obeying the highway code (jumping lights) at junctions and breaking the rules that car drivers and motorcyclists have to abide by or be fined. Then the cyclist gets fined. If the cyclist gets knocked off his bike by me in a car or on my bike, 9 times out of 10 i will be blamed for it. So cyclists start to use the roads properly, use the highway code and stick to it, all of our lives will be better for it

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100% mate, some of them are a royal pain, I've fallen foul of a few in my time, What happened to the cycle proficiency test of yester-year?

    ReplyDelete