Tuesday 17 April 2012

Are you a good Methodist

A short time ago, i was asked if i was or felt i was a good Methodist. This came after a Sunday morning worship setting. The question did not confuse me but got me thinking, what is a good Methodist, and after pondering the question i have no reply. But i changed the question in my mind to, what is a good Christian, what makes you a good Christian. In my life i have been privileged to know people who for me represent the Kingdom of God, and how it is played out. Now this will embarrass those people but i will name them, because they have influenced my life for the greater good. If you are not named, it's not that you do not matter it's that you have not known me long enough. We can all name the big names who have influenced us, and for me that person is A.W. Tozer, a man i never met. But what of those people who make my christian life a joyride with all of it's up's and downs. These people have influenced me one way or another, and I'm going to publicly say so. Anna Williams is the person who had the tenacity to try and get me back into fellowship and succeeded. The Noronha clan  is another who through their grace, enables and teaches me great things for the kingdom. Mark Gilborson is a man i admire and respect because his ability to make me think is brilliant. Then we come to my old sparring partner Bob Hyde, a man who many years ago took a chance on a snot nosed Evangelist, put up with complaints, and moaning but saw something in me that made me partly what i am today, he is a genius and a great friend. Then we have those who are outside of the kingdom. Satan slaves who make me think about what i say, Skyra members whom i love, my family whom are non believers, but make me think about the kingdom. This for me is the crux of the matter, all of these people and loads more make me think about what it means to be a good Christian, what it means to think about and represent Jesus on this planet. I let them down, and they don't bitch. i let God down and he does not bitch. So what does it mean to be a good Christian, the ability to reel off masses of scripture to prove a point. The ability to be judgemental and less than gracious, the capability to run and hide when the chips are down?. For me it's none of the things i mentioned, it's the ability to take part in the world i live in, to show a loving God to a Godless world, to let people see that perfection is not what it's about. To let them know they are loved beyond reason or measure, to show them something of the Kingdom and it's king. Yes i fail, yes i let them and God down, but through it all God listens and acts and reacts to the situations i find myself in. I will never be perfect, never be what some people think is the ideal of a Christian. But i will be honest about my God, the situation around me, the people i interact with. So am i a good Methodist? NO I'm not, am i a good Christian probably not, but i'm honest, too much sometimes. I'm in love with my God, and despite some of the people love them. So i guess i'm  good in part, but human. Those things that bug me will never be as big as the God i serve or his love for me. I'm a saint in his kingdom and for that i'm grateful beyond belief, and for those of you who have an influence, i'm more than grateful that i know you.

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I can identify with a lot you say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Muriel, it means a lot to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes think that being a good Christian is something of an oxymoron, we are never good because of who we are yet paradoxically because we are not good we are made perfect because of who he is.

    As for being a good Methodist, without wishing to cause myself undue trouble, most of what we term 'good' probably needs to go, we need to learn from where we started and start to take many more risks.

    Great post mate - your grammar is top notch, I am humbled to be named amongst those brothers and sisters

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we believe we have to be a "good" Christian, or a "good" Methodist, then, it seems to me, we are setting ourselves up to fail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muriel i agree with you. Mark you have taught me a great deal in the time i have known you. You have caused me to think differently, you have challenged me, and given me a great deal of support. And in the same way that Bob Hyde took a risk with me, so did you. MARMITE LOL

    ReplyDelete